Saturday, August 1, 2015

Day (what day is it?): Shakeology and Upper Fix (take two)

So this week has been pretty insane, to say the least. Shingles, crazy work schedule, booking private planes and all that fun stuff (not for myself, I should probably add...) so I've been thrown off the metaphorical 21 Day Fix Horse. Last night, my Shingles patient needed to go to the store so I figured I may as well pick up a grocery or two...

I'm not sure where this motivation came from entirely (yesterday was an awful day at work. I was tired, grumpy and wanted nothing more than to stuff my face with junk food and let this 21 Day Fix Horse [let's call him Bullseye..."Ride into the wind, Bullseye!"...anybody? No? Just me? Cool...] ride into the wind...). But somehow, someway we get to the store and I'm like, "I'm going to pick up a few things, cool?" He agrees. I start down aisle one.

Well, $85 later...my fridge is stocked, my pantry is full and I'm all about this 21 Day Fix thing all over again. So I've climbed back on Bullseye who never left my side (just call me Jessie!) and we're back at it.

So this morning I went for eggs with some steel-cut oatmeal, banana and a splash of raw honey. It was...okay. I'm not going to lie, eating eggs but holding the salt was pretty frustrating. The oatmeal was pretty good! I had to refrain from dousing it with honey or something sweet. 

Lunch I went for my first Shakeology. I think I had higher hopes for this in that it would easily replace my daily iced coffee (or should I say, caramel or vanilla cream with a splash of iced coffee...). There's a recipe on the Shakeology flyer that you get when you buy it--1 cup of black coffee, 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a scoop of Shakeology, a tsp of raw honey and some ice. It was no caramel macchiato, but it wasn't terrible.

After lunch, I decided to go back to the Upper Fix because I hadn't made it all the way through the first time. Here's what I noticed:
Holy warm-up, Batman! I did it. I did it in FULL force! I didn't have to modify squat! I DID IT! This is only my 4th time on the warm-up and I'm already noticing that I can keep up better than ever before. If I wasn't so winded, I would do a happy dance. (I said I did it, I didn't say it still wasn't a work-out).

Arms. I love arm days. I don't know if this will change over time, but I. Love. Them. Sooooo much more than leg days. No joke about it. I'm not going to bore you with the details of the work-out ('cause they're in my last blog). My arms were still all shake-y, especially on those push-ups and the plank, the plank about killed me on round two! But I felt like I could fully conquer arm-day with zero problems.

Mid-afternoon snack: I had some whole, raw almonds. Again--almonds are weird without salt. Not a bad weird, necessarily. Just...something I'm going to need to get used to.

Dinner. Oh, dinner. So I was craving junk food. This surprised me. I was like in full-on "I'm going to eat the pantry whether you like it or not, Bullseye". Well, thanks to my "no more buying junk food" kick, there was literally no junk food to eat. So I look at my keys and I'm fully prepared to go find junk food. I even went to my car! I even got in my car! I even started driving.

So Florida is all about these torrential, hurricane-themed down pours over the course of the last 2 weeks. Pretty soon, I'm going to need a boat to actually leave my doorstep. So as I'm driving, I'm looking at the sky and it's really getting pretty dark. Like End-of-the-World dark. "I mean, I might as well go home and eat something there, I don't want to get stuck in this mess," I literally said to myself.

The child in me is screaming: "WHAT?! No! There's no junk food at home! Just stop at 7-11! Get a Slurpee!" Nope. No stopping. I drove home, I had some kale with carrots and cucumbers with a little bit of balsamic dressing. And that was that.

I've popped some grapes in the freezer for a snack later, and I'm feeling so badass that I'm planning to do the ab workout DVD shortly. Two work outs in one day? Who am I?

The main point I would like to make in this entry is: life is going to happen. Things are going to happen where maybe you can't have the best meal one night or you have to skip a work out because someone you know gets Shingles and has to go to the ER. But you HAVE to Keep. Going.

Keep Going.

It's as simple as that. And if I can do it? I promise you, you can do it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment